Borderlands Review

Discussion in 'Other games and gaming' started by Wren, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Wren

Wren Avid Gamer

Borderlands Review 4 out of 5 Stars

[​IMG]

Developer: Gearbox
    Publisher: 2K Games
    Genre: Role-playing shooter
    Released: Fall 2009
    Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Windows

First off, As someone who has played this game for over 50 hour there are still moments of genuine joy while playing this game. For any veteran of the FPS (First-Person Shooter) the controls are intuitive and easy to pick up. The total first person newbie, might have some difficulty navigating the 3rd person environment at first, but trust me the initial disorientation will be worth the experience you are about to have.

[​IMG]

The player is one of the four vault seekers here to kick all the ass on Pandora and claim the mythical vault as your own. Legends abound of the wealth that the vault contains, but the path is littered with pitfalls and perils. The four seekers of the vault are; Lilith, the siren who specializes in her phase walk attack, Roland, the Soldier, whose turret actually makes it feel “like there is a another solider on the field”, Mordeci, the hunter, whose pet Bloodwig tears his foes to shreds, and Brick who loves to use his fists to get the job done. Playing as one these four and the action starts as the player is familiar with the HUD.

[​IMG]

This game is fast-paced and action packed FPS RPG (Role Playing Game) with enemies constantly testing your mettle. The player will find it hard to ever have a moment of boredom while playing and then there is the loot! The player is always on the prowl for the next awesome gun or piece of equipment and the player will find it. The player will sometimes find themselves exclaiming in unison with their character when they find their next piece of 'Phat Loot'. The game even allows the player to play multiple playthroughs with the same character if they didn't get enough as they gunned their way through the wilds of Pandora the first time. The player even has the option of having up to 3 other people help on their adventure.

[​IMG]

The game does have a few glitches. Sometimes you can get stuck and the in-game menu is somewhat clunky especially in split screen. However, you don't spend much time in menu and a quick reload with get you unstuck anyway. You probably won't lose anything anyway because the game auto-saves seamlessly and often.

Gearbox has created a strong game with this release with only a few minor glitches. Their implementation of the FPS with just a dash of RPG is a truly addictive combination.

4 out of 5 stars

If you have a game you would like me to review let me know. I love games in general and I am always looking for the next diversion.

Screen Shots: www.ign.com

2. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

This game reminds me a lot of fallout 3. I've not played borderlands though. It uses same terminology for example Vaults.

I get the impression it's a cut down version of fallout 3 e.g. cell shaded graphics rather than photo realism that fallout 3 aims for.

How similar would you say it is to fallout 3?

3. Wren

Wren Avid Gamer

I would say they are only smilar in mood and tone. Borderlands has a much faster pace and leans on the combat for a fun experience. Fallout 3 is much more about the adventure and the story.

I have log over a hundred hours playing Fallout 3. I really like that game.

4. Atlan Leticron

Atlan Leticron Postmoderna pixel pusher

Sorry for the blunt way of speaking, but this is realy the feeling it gives to me.

To me it looks as a low butget cut down of Fallout 3 with horible graphics and never find a way to my hard drive.

Agian, this is just the feeling it gives to me.
    Maybe others might find it fun.

Kind regards.
    Ion

5. Kind of a thread necro, but just had to due to the sheer awesomeness of this game.

To the above thinking this is a Fallout 3 rip-off, it isn't, and I must say I personally had a much more fun time playing Borderlands than FO3, and even though both are games I sometimes go back to playing a bit, Borderlands is a much more likely candidate.

The game is filled with fantastic humor, you'll be literally laughing out loud many times, be it from the hilarious and incredibly well-done voice-acting, story presentation, quest descriptions or simply by punching a psycho midget's leg off! It is that awesome.

The graphics are more cartoony because it aims exactly to be a lot more exaggerated and funny like a (gory) cartoon, which it achieves masterfully. The gearbox developers really put a lot of effort into making the game fun, something which is rare now in a time where most games are hopelessly dumbed down in order to cater to a bigger player-base (AvP3, anyone?).

The DLCs also increment the fun-factor vastly. They were not there when I first started the game, when it came out, obviously, but a few months later I went back to playing BL, got myself the DLCs, and ended up playing for longer than I did the first time I started (and finished) the game.

Here's a few videos that should give you a taste of the (IMO awesome) humor that you'll find in borderlands. Note that these videos were made way after the game was released, and such, so they're not promo videos, the developers literally just made them for the lulz (which only goes to show how much effort and enthusiasm the developers really put into this game). I highly recommend watching all three (and no it's not a rickroll, I just couldn't find out how to embed youtube videos here like we do in EF ;) ):

I guess I may sound a bit of an ass-kisser to the devs of this game, but yeah, I guess I am, because I just love this game, and have a hard time thinking of another recent game which I felt had so much effort put into it and that gave me such an awesome time!

I give this game a 10/10 as I consider it one of the few recent games that will be classics in the near future. It is that good...

6. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Just watched video number 1, and big fat LOL at the Christian Bale spoof :D

7. My personal favourite is number 2, I love the report at the end when the credits are rolling! :rofl:

8. Ever played it?
    Every single character is funny like hell, every bit of conversation is a goldmine.

The game itself is entertaining, the graphics.. Do they really matter?
    It's cell-shaded! It's not supposed to look like crysis 2.

Play it, then come back, It's really entertaining.

9. Theskilledone

Theskilledone Heart of DU

I find borderlands to be a mix between Fallout 3 and EU. Which are way better then both :)

allthough I haven't played it for a while... it's much more fun several persons.

10. It is in no way a single player game.
    Eventhough it has singleplayer..

2 player MINIMUM!

11. I always played it Singleplayer and still had a blast. Not saying MP can't be more fun, just saying it's worth giving a shot even if you don't want to or can't play with others.

12. Love this game! play it often online.....awesome times!! great review btw.

Yeah! do a review of the unreal tournament series from 99/3 please!! danm awesome games!

13. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

For those interested, Borderlands is currently on sale in the Steam shop for EUR 4.99 (normally EUR 19.99). I'm actually just going to buy it for myself for that price and play it at some later point.

Get it while you can!

14. Did you ever get Saints Row the Third? Recently heard it was on sale on Steam too.

Steam makes no sense to me. Why play a game inside another program?

15. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

Because then you don't need to worry about dvd's. Whichever computer you install steam on you can play your game.

16. But wouldn't that use up more computer resources? I installed it on one computer because of a game that Nadie had mentioned, but kept getting errors about not being connected to the internet. So I never followed up with it.

17. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Actually, no, I didn't yet. The last game I bought shortly after it came out was CIV5. I have chosen to mostly stick to games a bit older when they are available at discount.

That's actually not entirely true. I also bought Crysis 2 for the PS3 shortly after it came out, but for the PC, I picked up a copy of FalOut the other day, and then yesterday Borderlands when I saw it. Both games were heavily discounted, similar to when I bought Just Cause 2 last year. I have had so much fun with that for about 150 PED, and still am having a blast whenever I log into it.

I still intend to pickup Saints Row, though, but need to find time :) I now need to finish FallOut and then Borderlands first, inbetween working :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I bought this game a while back as thought I'd ike the frontier feel. I still have not played it though ahha :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.